Eight Weeks Before You Move:
- Contact Zebra Friendly Movers to confirm your move and to make arrangements for the moving day
- Remove items from attic, basement, storage shed, etc that will be moving
- Start to use up things you cannot move, such as frozen foods and cleaning supplies.
- Contact the chamber of commerce or visitor’s and tourism bureaus in your new community to advise them of your relocation and to request for information on your new city.
Six Weeks Before your Moving date:
- If you are moving at an employer’s request, verify what expenses and responsibilities are theirs and which are yours.
- Contact the IRS and/or your accountant for information on what moving expenses may be tax-deductible.
- Begin to inventory and evaluate possessions you will be moving. What can be sold or donated to a charitable organization? What haven’t you used within the last year?
- Make a list of everyone you need to notify about your move: friends, professionals, creditors, subscriptions, etc.
- Obtain a mail subscription to the local paper in your new community to familiarize yourself with local government, community, and social news and activities.
- Locate all auto licensing and registration documents, prior to your move.
- If some of your goods are to be stored, make the necessary arrangements with yourmoving company.
- Contact schools, doctors, dentists, lawyers and accountants advise them you aremoving and obtain copies of your personal records. Ask for referrals where possible.
Four Weeks Before your moving date:
- Arrange special moving transportation for your pets and plants.
- Contact utility and related companies inform them you are moving (gas, electric, oil, water, telephone, cable TV) for service disconnect/connect at your old and new address. However, remember to keep phone and utilities at your current home throughout the moving day.
- Contact insurance companies to check moving coverage and arrange for the coverage in your new residence.
Three Weeks Before your Moving date:
- Make travel arrangements and reservations for your moving trip. Remember, don’t make plane reservations for the same day that you are moving out.
- Collect important papers (insurance, will, deeds, stock, etc.) to move safely by yourself
- Arrange to close accounts at your local bank and open accounts in new locale before you move.
Two Weeks Before your Move:
- Have your car checked and serviced for the moving trip. Also, make sure that your automobile is prepared for the type of weather conditions you will be traveling in during the relocation.
- If you are moving out of or into a building with elevators, contact the building management to schedule use of the elevator during the move.
- Contact your moving counselor to review and confirm all arrangements for yourmove.
One Week Before your Move:
- Settle any outstanding bills with local merchants prior to moving.
- Do not forget withdraw the contents of your safety deposit box, pick up any dry cleaning, return library books and rented videotapes, etc,.prior to the move.
- Take pets to the veterinarian for any needed immunizations before they move. Get copies of pets’ veterinarian records.
- Drain gas and oil from power equipment prior to the move.
- Give away plants not moving.
- Prepare specific directions to your new home for your moving company. Include your itinerary, emergency numbers, etc.)
- Arrange insurance of the move or ask your move specialist to give a hand.
Two to Three Days Before the Move:
- Defrost your freezer and refrigerator for the move. Block doors open so they cannot accidentally close on pets or children.
- Have your major appliances disconnected and prepared for the move.
- Pack a box of personal items that will be needed immediately at your new home or during the move.
- Have this box loaded last or carry it with you in a car when moving.
- Organize and set aside those things that you are taking with you so that they do not get loaded on the moving van.
- Contact your moving manager to confirm arrival of the moving team, as well as to notify him/her of any last minute move details.
- Make sure that someone is at home on moving day to answer any questions themoving team may have. .
- Save your energy – let the moving team to pack and disassemble goods.
- Read your move inventory carefully before sign. Keep this and all related papers in safe location until all moving procedure has been settled.
- Keep in contact with your mover while you are in transit to the new residence.